Skip to main content

At Some Point...

The quiet suffocates and stillness is deafening. Even today. Maybe more so. And to think, those were things I prayed for. 

Note to self: Be careful what you pray for. You may actually get it.

At some point,

I had to describe his last moments on this earth to paramedics and police officers. I provided details about the last time I talked to him and how he'd had a 'back spasm' for almost two weeks. I repeated the story so many times my throat burned. Understand, I had to provide this information while my shell of a husband was still lying on the living room floor. For too long, he was uncovered.

At some point,

An older officer instructed the paramedics to cover him up. 

At some point,

My parents showed up. Somebody went for food. Everybody cried. My mother called people who needed to know. We waited to call his mother (that's Another Story). 

We sat around his shell making hollow conversation. 

At some point,

My sister showed up. The body still being there made her look as sick as I felt. She left.

But not I. I had to stay in the very room I so desperately wanted to escape. My eyes leaked involuntarily. I let them. I was shell=shocked. Later I would discover that I'd been traumatized. I kept glancing over at his shell, willing it to move.

No response.

At some point,

Funeral home workers came to examine and remove his shell. 

Moving furniture.

The smell of cigarettes.

The body on the gurney. 

A guttural howl impregnated by pain associated with deep loss.

A pain in my chest that shot down my shoulders.

And then,

At some point,

We contacted his mother.   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suddenly Widowed Because He was STOLEN!!!

 As mad as I am, I'm so grateful that I didn't have to wait for him to die. I watched him die, not knowing what it was, but I didn't have to wait. Friday, 12-20-2024, I woke up around 6:15am. I was exhausted and frustrated. My husband had been fighting a 'back spasm' for the last two weeks. He hadn't gone to work, taken out the trash, or washed the dishes because he was in so much pain. He barely ate, drank, or moved around. He was so uncomfortable.  During those two weeks, I fussed. Fussing is my love language. I had to start our homeschooling Christmas break early so that I could care for him. In meeting his basic needs, I got behind on everything. Laundry, budgeting, paperwork, lessons at home and church, my daughter's personal care, and the list goes on. And so, I fussed. I also showed him stretches to help with the pain, provided him with water and food, and massaged the pain. The night before 12/20/24 I injured my own back in an attempt to pick him up ...

Goodbye Baby

 Dearest Nephew, I  am so sorry I couldn't be there. Your mother kept us apart for more than 6 years, From the first diagnoses until death,  Death. I hate that I was forced to miss so much because of your mother's spite, and even more so, the people who watched it happen in silence. But that's not what this is about, I'm here because I miss you. All of you. Your love of Roblox, chocolate, bbq, and cussing (lol). Your desire to keep the peace. Your care and concern for other people. Your love for your grandma.  I must admit. I do not miss your being sick and in pain, The ample amount of time you spent isolated or under a knife. I don't miss waiting for the inevitable. For the text that changed my life... again,   That's right. I was informed via text. I couldn't breathe. The air was sling-shot out of my lungs. It took another trip to the hospital in order for me to breathe again. Trip number 7. Seven is the number of completion.  Maybe I'm done now. May...

Release, Refresh, Reset

I can’t carry this anymore. My joints hurt. I’m weak in the knees and humped in the back. The weight of it all has left me deformed. I am not who I was when this year started and there’s no turning back. I’ll take a moment to validate the pain, anger, and rage. I woke up to find my husband dead on the floor. A heart attack came like a thief in the night and stole the love of my life. I disassociated as a means of survival. Processing the fact that he was actually gone may have destroyed me. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. It has been a trying journey that’s only just begun and I have to help her manage it alone. Her dad is gone. And then I got sick. And I stayed sick. And I couldn’t get better. And I had 2 surgeries less than 6 months apart. And my kid bounced from house to house like a foster child. And when I woke up from heart surgery, I had to relearn how to walk. And then, my baby boy (nephew) passed away. Loneliness allowed bitterness to set in. And it did s...